15 June, 2017

Thankful Tree Thursday

Copper Beech Trunk

A Redbud Tree

Our guide in front of a 300+ year-old Iron Elm

Canadian Goose feather

Wild ginger is the round leaves in the center
I had a delightful experience last Sunday, visiting Elmwood Cemetery in Detroit to learn about trees and plants.  Our guide was Cheryl English, from Black Cat Pottery, who knows her trees and plants, as well as her artwork and CATS!  I mean, just look at the name of her business!

My friend BG and I went to lunch with Cheryl and her friend B. after the walking lecture, and B. and I struck up a conversation about...you guessed it...plants and cats!  Woo Hoo!  This Friday, B. has invited me to her house to take away some of her overgrown plants; wild ginger, swamp milkweed, and a cup plant too, plus whatever else she finds.  She has four cats, and while speaking with her on the phone today, one of her cats serenaded me!  Native plants attract insects like butterflies and bees, and bats, and aren't fussy to grow.  The Hubby is going to wonder what the hey, but I've been dying to start a garden just for The 'O' Cats, with shrubs that they can hide in and hunt around.  Plus, I just want things to grow naturally.  And...there is little to no cost involved.  Double Woo Hoo!

Therefore, I am very thankful today, for plants and cats, for friends and nature, for trees and Summer!

Join Brian's Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

14 comments:

  1. That looks loke a terrific place and those trees are amazing! Thanks for joining the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That red bud tree is huge!! OMCs. And the bark on the copper beech tree is so pretty.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place ! The red bud tree is amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That 300 year old tree is HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To think what a tree that old has witnessed, right? It seems like on a weekly basis someone in my neighborhood is cutting down a tree and it makes me sad. As for plants, I only wish I had a green thumb! I bought a chocolate mint plant one Mother's Day that was dead by Father's Day LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love trees. Can't wait to see the results of the cat garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's interesting that cemeteries are often great places for tours. Our local cemetery offers a tour, and my sister just returned from Cuba where they did a cemetery tour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos. I am glad you found a like minded friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love trees! And cats! Sounds like you had a perfectly wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been planting native and bee-loving species and love them. Little to no care and the pollinators love them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun in the garden! I love the photo of the beech trunk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How interesting. Mom did not know ginger grew wild. Can you use the leaves....like for tea or do you have to dig it up for the root? I love the idea of providing shurbs for the kitty kats.

    Kali and Shoko

    ReplyDelete

Mee-row!
Thanks for your comments; we LURV them! Purrr....